Gymnastics is an activity that is practiced by both men and women. It originated from the ancient Greeks who considered mounting and dismounting a horse and circus performances as exercises and ones that require great skill. Hence, gymnastics requires good focus.
Gymnastics requires good amount of flexibility, body balance, muscle strength, coordination and control. All the movements practiced in gymnastics will help body parts such as the arms, shoulders, back, chest, legs and abdominal muscles to develop and strengthen. Practicing gymnastics requires the mind and body to be alert, confident and disciplined.
Today there are exercises that require some form of exercising equipments such as the treadmill, cycle, weights and more. However, there are few other exercises such as yoga, meditation and aerobics, which can be performed without the help of any equipment. Though there are moves in gymnastics that require the support of some equipment, few others can be easily practised at home without taking the trouble of visiting a gym.
Here are a few tips on how to become a gymnast at your own home.
- Make Space: Choose a spacious area in your house that is free of obstacles and wont hinder your practice sessions.
- Get a Gymnastic Mat: It is recommended you buy a good quality gymnastics mat and carry out your exercises on the mat spread across the floor for better grip.
- Get Proper Workout Clothes: Do not wear too loose or too tight fitting clothes as this will prevent you from working out freely and may cause minor accidents.
- Warm-up First: No matter which exercise you practice, it is best you start your session with some warm up exercises such as light cardio, small walk or jog to warm up your muscles. This is very vital as it loosens your body and prevents any muscle injury.
- Start with some of the basic well-known exercises that do not require any equipment such as push-ups, pull-ups, crunches, planks and wall-sits to build muscle strength.
- Move on to flexibility exercises such as stretches and include it in your daily routine.
- Perform basic gymnastic moves such as forward and backward rolls, handstands, back bends and cartwheels.
Hence, if you are a student or a new mom who wants to try out gymnastics as a means of exercise, then it is suggested that you seek professional help from a gymnastic trainer, videos or training manuals and check out fit2bmom before you try anything on your own.